70th anniversary of the Institute of Geophysics of the Polish Academy of Sciences10 July 2023
The 70th anniversary celebration of the Institute of Geophysics of the Polish Academy of Sciences was held in Warsaw on July 7. The historical and memorial session organized on the occasion was attended by the president of the State Mining Authority, Adam Mirek PhD.
The Institute of Geophysics of the Polish Academy of Sciences was established on December 18, 1952, initially as the Department of Geophysics, which began its activities on June 1, 1953. Three already existing geophysical observatories were incorporated into it: in Warsaw, Świder and Raciborz. The Staszic Palace became the headquarters of the Geophysics Department. In the autumn of 1988, all the plants and workshops housed in seven locations across Warsaw moved to a new building at ul. Księcia Janusza 64.
The institute is a leading unit conducting scientific and research activities in the field of geophysical sciences. Research is carried out by 8 scientific establishments: Seismology, Atmospheric Physics, Seismic Research of the Lithosphere, Theoretical Geophysics, Hydrology and Hydrodynamics, Magnetism, Geophysical Imaging, and Polar and Marine Research. The institute also manages the Hornsund Polish Polar Station in Spitsbergen and is leading a project to revitalize the Polish Antarctic Station in the Bunger Oasis.